Monday, November 9, 2009

Suprise--another post

I have NO idea if anyone is following this at all anymore, but I thought I would post just a few thoughts I have been having.

Mom is doing well. Everyday she is trying to pack life full of stuff to do so she isn't alone. She even watched her first movie the other night (a favorite activity she would do with dad almost every night). This was the first one since the accident. If anyone does read this and has been hesitating calling mom--don't she would love to talk, or better yet go out and do something.

She still loves getting invited to do things, and hates getting the mail. The mail always has something to my dad--or a credit card bill from a card she cancelled a few months ago---but she gets it all taken care of...she is strong. She has been making decisions and able to form opinions about things again, which is good. The whole time I was with her I would constantly ask her things like...."is this the way you want me to go home?" and "Is this the brand of cereal that you would like to eat?"; because she use to always have a way to do things and a thought or feeling about everything, so as hard as it has been for her to make decisions, it has also been hard on us kids to figure out that she didn't want to think about the trivial things in life and that we needed to just do what we needed to do to help take care of her, and not expect her to tell us how to do it, like she use to. I hope that makes sense.

I still feel like Dad isn't gone. I think it will hit me more over Thanksgiving when Dad doesn't come home from work--and isn't with us at the table for dinner. Since my interactions with him were sporadic I still have a hard time grasping everything. Even when it was all happening it was as if he was gone to work, or a meeting. Since we are going through dad's things we have opted to go out to eat for Thanksgiving. It will give us a chance to get away from it all for a few hours--and we won't have a huge mess to clean up--or take the time to make it.

I am actually looking forward to it. I think Thanksgiving (and ALL Sunday dinners) should be eaten out, but since we don't buy stuff on Sunday I guess that second one is out. I like Thanksgiving as well as the next guy--but I would rather spend time with family on that day, instead of in the kitchen with the women, while the guys are in the other room. I enjoy a good meal, especially if I can make it ahead of time, but hate the clean up--so eating out is the best suggestion I have heard in a long time. Of course, Lucas and I were going to have steak for Thanksgiving last year with all the normal side dishes...we got invited to go to New Mexico-to a family friends house instead.

Anyway--today at work a women came in -- her husband was in a car accident about a month ago and she told us today that he has a brain injury and is not responsive at all to anything. I wanted to stand up and give her hug and talk to her about it, and I am kicking myself I didn't do that. It was the first time meeting her, and she seemed a little shaky, so I am mad I didn't offer some kind of support. I told her how great she was doing to come in and pay her bill, and that I was "so sorry", but most of those words fall on empty ears--I remember feeling so empty when people would say that to me, but I guess I was a little in shock to hear her say the same exact words I was saying a few months ago. It is hard to comfort those in this situation, even if you have been in this situation!

Well again, I wanted to just dot down some thoughts, and have written a huge post.
Thanks again to everyone taking care of my mom, our siblings, and us!
Love Amy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Sweet Amy,
Thank you for writing. I just read your last post and am deeply moved by your thoughts and experiences. I too, have a hard time grasping the reality of all of this. I love you all so much and want you to be happy even though there is a big shadow over you. Now is the time for gratitude. I think remembering our multitude of blessings can help us put things in perspective, and this is the time of year for that. I hope that you can all be blessed by sweet memories, and grateful for the wonderful man that your father IS.
Love,
Aunt Patsy

Jean said...

Amy- I will let your mom know as well...but over this holiday season(s) I would LOVE to be able to take care of your children and Angie's or Tandy's if they are here also so that you can all get to the temple together! I know Angie's baby is young but I have watched breast feed babies before and his crying does not frighten me! LOL
It would be so wonderful for you all to be there together and not have to worry about the youngsters, so lets figure out when as many of you as will be here can get to the temple! Love, Jean

Katie Seamons said...

I still read it! Mark and I have to go to Denver to a doctors appointment at national jewish. We will have to see how the day goes, but I just might stop and say Hi! Thanks for the post!

Danwhitaker said...

Thanks for those words, Amy. Love you guys. It's hard for me to realize he's moved on, as well. Miss him but we all carry on. I'm going to the graveside this Saturday and will put some flowers on it and say "Hellooo, Brother!" to him.

Rhonda said...

Amy. I love you so dearly, always have and always will. I can totally relate to your feelings about not really absorbing the fact that your dad is gone. Since I live here, we talked on a semi-regular basis and I miss him so much I feel like I can't breathe. I have his pic next to my bed and I talk to him, hoping to feel his spirit, but I guess either I'm not spiritual enough to receive that blessing or I just don't recognize it! I want to feel him near me. Do you ever feel his presence? I've invited your mom to come over to my house and "play" in my big Arts & Crafts room. She said she would love to! Now we're playing phone tag. I hope I get to see you over the Holidays, but I'm going to St. George for Thanksgiving! I love you. Don't beat yourself up for not speaking up to people in their grief. I always tell people that guilt is a waste of time and energy. IF you feel guilty, USE IT to motivate yourself to become a better person, not to beat yourself up! Rhonda