I would love to be able to read to dad-both now while in a coma--and again when he is awake some good memories you have with him.
Please leave a short comment on a good memory you have with him and/or my mom.
Thanks
Amy
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Doran is the finest person and big brother that could be. He's always been there to help me out of any spot or problem. He's always been wise and kind, never judgemental, just solid and true and "real". Once the elders quorum decided to have a Halloween party with costumes and all. After it was going full blast, somebody showed up in the perfect witch costume: hat, big crooked nose with wart, deep green skin, long black cloak and gown. Nobody could tell who it was, even when he/she cackled and laughed. For an hour, nobody could guess and finally he revealed himself....it was Doran! Great disguise, great fun.
Also, we've all had this experience.. Playing Monopoly, losing badly to Doran. He had most of the properties, the hotels and money. We'd land on his hotels and pay him and were running out of money fast. He started laughing and wouldn't quit. You know the laugh were he sucks air in rather than out... Pretty soon we dug out the facts...he had been cheating like crazy the whole time! He admitted it and we all laughed and tipped the board right over! Fun time!
Doran and Joye are such a warm, generous, friendly, and kind couple. Watching them dance at this year's Stake Valentine's Day dance was a special treat. :) I also loved the story of how they met and got together!
Doran and I were bachelors for a while before I left on my mission. He was dating two girls, Joye and Ginger.
One night he was out with Joye when Ginger showed up and left him a GIANT strawberry/whipped cream pie. When Doran got home we absolutely stuffed ourselves on it. It was really delicious.
After we had finished it off I asked Doran, "Does this mean you are going to marry Ginger?" He said, "Nope, but she sure makes a good pie, doesn't she!"
It turns out he had already made up his mind, and he had just come back after proposing to Joye! Good choice, Doran! We didn't like Ginger very much.
Oh - "Vancouver Barefoot" is the name of my blog. Sorry about that. This is Ryan Whitaker, one of Doran's brothers.
While batch'ing it together, Doran was well known for the number of pairs of socks he owned. Something like 60 pairs. He didn't like doing laundry, so his solution was to just buy more socks instead of wash them. Joye came over one time and tried to round up all the dirty socks to wash them. She found them tossed in the weirdest places. She never did find them all. She ended up with quite a few "one-seys".
Ryan
I remember that Halloween costume very well. I knew (after quite some time studying him up close!) that it was Doran. I kept his secret because it was so fun to see everyone trying to figure out who this person was! You know how I figured out his identity? I recognized his fingers and the shape of his fingernails! We all have similar looking fingers! Weird, huh?
Post a Comment